Starting at the beginning: the Creation, Genesis 1:24-31 and Psalm 8:3-4
- God is the Creator, but He is not remote.
- Genesis 24-25 Then God said, “Let the earth produce every sort of animal, each producing offspring of the same kind – livestock, small animals that scurry along the ground, and wild animals.” And that is what happened. God made all sorts of wild animals, livestock, and small animals, each able to produce offspring of the same kind. And God saw that it was good.
- 26 Then God said, “Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us. They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground.”
- 27 So God created human beings in His own image. In the image of God He created them; male and female He created them.
- 28 Then God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and multiply. Fill the earth and govern it. Reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the animals that scurry along the ground.”
- 29 Then God said, “Look! I have given you every seed-bearing plant throughout the earth and all the fruit trees for your food. 30 And I have given every green plant as food for all the wild animals, the birds in the sky, and the small animals that scurry along the ground — everything that has life.” And that is what happened.
- 31 Then God looked over all He had made, and He saw that it was very good!
- And evening passed and morning came, marking the sixth day.
- Psalm 8:3-4 When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers – the moon and the stars you set in place – what are mere mortals that you should think about them, human beings that you should care for them?
- To reflect
- Why is God’s deliberation expressed as “we” – “Let us make…”, v.26. We believe in one God, a non-negotiable truth. So, as the Bible is about God revealing Himself to us, what is God revealing about Himself here?
- Why did God create us?
- What did He create us to be like?
- What does that tell us about the relationship, and the kind of God we have the relationship with?